The chatterbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beginnings

2 posters

Go down

Beginnings Empty Beginnings

Post by Mira Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:10 pm

This is something that is kinda long, but I have been working on it for a while. I was just thinking maybe you all would like to see it. I will not explain it for you, I want to see if I did well in explaining it in the words I chose. I hope you enjoy it, and please tell me your thoughts after you have read it, I would appreciate it!

Prologue
“Class, today I am you replacement teacher. Ms. Rayu is off on a scouting trip that the dragon council requested.” Several of the students were whispering to each other about the type of mission the council must have assigned to have needed their old teacher.
“I have decided,” the teacher cleared his throat, “to explain to you how the Dragon-Human war started. I hear you have not yet heard that story. It is very important for you to understand your history, so I will describe it to you from memory.
“This war started 203 years ago. Back when the sun would shine on all our territory, and the grass was long. When our minds were free and our bodies even more so. At that time our current head of council was the famous Steel Claw.” Whispers of admiration and exclamations could be heard all over the cave. “Steel Claw was a very strong and courageous leader. He had a deep crimson hide with claws the striking color of ivory. His blood ran thick and his heart was true. He was a good leader for us, and an intelligent thinker.
“Yes, you there in the front, what do you need?” The substitute asked.
“Sir, is it true that ivory claws were rare back then?” One young student with a moss-green colored hide asked.
“Yes, in those years there were very few young dragons born with ivory claws. We originally weren’t sure about the reason. However, our seers have recently decided that ivory claws are formed when the parent dragons have recently killed something other than prey. Usually a few days before the eggs are lain.” Several of the little students looked at their claws in wonder. The ones with ivory claws showed them off while the ones without looked on the others’ jealously. “This theory makes sense because with the war on, there has been more senseless killing, and more ivory claws. Which brings me back to our topic!
“Steel Claw was requested in a human gathering one evening. This had not happened in a few years and was to be treated with caution. Past experiences have shown us we don’t always see eye to eye.” He chuckled to himself at his own little joke.
“After conferring with the council for about two days, they agreed he should go and hear out these humans. He was to see what they wanted. He soon left, that very day, for the meeting with two other members of the council, for record keeping sakes.
“Upon arriving at the human castle, he was greeted by short fat diplomats who scowled and harrumphed at his actions. They were not at all pleased by his acrobatic display of landing easily on their small platform. I have always assumed that humans were envious of our flying expertise… however I have not been able to prove that.
The other two council members decided not to interact with the small creatures, seeing as the humans were not pleased about this meeting either. Steel Claw however was forced to speak their lowly language, in order for them to understand him.
“He greeted them and requested the reason for which he was summoned. They replied with some small unimportant story about a dragon carrying off some poor farmer’s cattle. Steel Claw rightfully responded that the farmer should become a sheep farmer, then the human would no longer have that problem because, as you younglings know, dragons strongly dislike eating those sticky-cottony sheep.” Several agreements were heard from various places around the gathering.
“For unknown reasons,” the replacement dragon continued, “the humans were not happy about this suggestion. One in particular jumped up and shouted insults at Steel Claw. As you all know, dragons do not respond well to such wordplay, especially in such a pathetic language. The council member who returned said that Steel Claw overlooked the flaw in his personality. However, the other humans in the room obviously were angry about something too, for they joined in on the insult throwing.
“Steel Claw would not, and could not, overlook this! He warned them all that they brought this on themselves, and if they were as smart as they believe themselves to be perhaps they should not have created this meeting. He proceeded to burn them all to a crisp. Then he decided to munch on their remains, as a final insult to them.
“As you can imagine, the human clans were not pleased. They were apparently waiting in ambush already, for they appeared from the other side of the castle wall. Prepared for attack. This enraged all three of the dragons. As it should have! The humans were automatically assuming that the dragons could not be trusted!
“Steel Claw driven into a blind rage. He became ferocious. Swooping down on the army, attacking mercilessly. He charged at them from the ground and burned as many as he could. He used his tail to sweep away their rock-throwing machines.
“The council member that did not return soon joined him, attacking them and killing his fair share too. The remaining council member had a moment of insight, through his rage. If all three happened to die, none would be able to tell the truth of what happened that night. So, he finished off the small group of humans nearest him and fled the battle. He arrived late the next morning, back at our council tower. None were prepared for what he was about to relate.
“He told us this story, just as I am telling it to you. Yes? You there on the left, what is your question?”
“Sir, if this is what truly happened, then why did the council never go collect their remains? If I recall correctly, all other times in history when a dragon was killed out of war-time, the council collected their bones for endless rest in the cave,” one small dragon to the left of the teacher inquired.
“You have been taught well, I see. Yes class, she is correct.” The substitute responded, “the council would have sent someone. If I remember correctly-they did. That poor young dragon never came back.
“This response from the humans made it clear that they wanted war. The council declared a warning to them. Also we were ordered to not attack unless they insult us, invade our territory, steal from us, or attack us first. This rule was followed. We did not attack unless they did those things previously mentioned.
“The humans seemed to have no qualms about the tension between us. They went into our lands multiple times. They stole our treasures and smashed our young. They even kidnapped some of the youngest dragons in the early years.
“Time wasn’t long before there was simply fighting when either side saw the other. The humans would not allow us to simply fly over. They soon developed things, also known as noise throwers, that would create unique emotions when a dragon heard it. They were able to use this against us whenever we were in a fight. Unfortunately, we had no way to block out the sound. They were able to push us out of out once proud and beautiful lands. Now, we live in caves like this. Where mice abound, and bats frequent.” The dragon looked about in disgust, clearly reminded of what he used to live in.
“Even as the generations passed, and we became more in touch with the old magic of dragonkind, we could not stop the affect of their noise throwers on dragon minds. Nor could we regain our lands. How sad, when we know if they could have controlled their own tongues, then we would not have had this conflict.
“Young ones, this is why when your guardians tell you not to go out beyond certain points, you should do what they order. They are protecting you from the evil that is a human. If you ever see a human inside our borders, you are supposed to give ‘the call’” the teacher finished.
“Mister, what is ‘the call’?” A young one asked from the back.
“You have not attempted to do it before? I am surprised. Very well, I will teach you. Though, I thought you all would have known this before now.” The teacher then proceeded to teach the younglings a unique roar/squeal that represented one of 3 things, depending on length. Number one-danger, do not come near. Number two-Help I am in trouble. Number three-please come over here, as quickly as possible.
“Now children, this is all the time that I am allowed to teach you, please head to your next cave and have an influential day."
Mira
Mira
roleplaying staff
roleplaying staff

Female Posts : 125
Birthday : 1911-04-30
Location : I go hither and thither a lot, so don't expect to find me.
Humor : Your question implies that there is no logical answer, I disagree.

Back to top Go down

Beginnings Empty Re: Beginnings

Post by Guest Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:16 pm

That's really good. Honestly. There were some parts that i didn't unsedstand, but that probably has to do with the TV on behind me.
Brava!

Back to top Go down

Post by Miara Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:41 pm

You finally posted something! Congrats, sis! It's good. I'm sure I'd love it if I read more than that one sentence, but with a John Wayne movie playing next to me (in the batcave) I can hardly concentrate.
Miara
Miara
staff
staff

Female Posts : 1398
Birthday : 1912-12-04
Location : A special place where all go but few ever return to.
Humor : Somewhere around the eighth century someone did something that no one would ever remember them doing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mira Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:04 am

Thanks Smile If you have questions please ask! If I know something is unclear I can edit it and make it clear for my readers. So don't hesitate to ask!
I am working on some more, I might post it soon.
Mira
Mira
roleplaying staff
roleplaying staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:18 am

If its a prolouge, it's supposed to be like you had jumped into a pool w/o knowing what was in it, then you learn as you read and then everything makes sence. Thats really good Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mira Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:18 pm

I am planning on continuing it. I already have the first three chapters done, but I am not sure I really like them. I keep changing it and re-trying different things. This is the only part that will probably stay the same..
Mira
Mira
roleplaying staff
roleplaying staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:20 pm

i understand, my essays for school i often can't get right, so i have to tear up the paraghraph and start all over

Back to top Go down

Post by Mira Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:37 pm

Ok, I have some of the beginning of the first chapter done, but I am not sure I like it. would you still like me to post it anyways?
Mira
Mira
roleplaying staff
roleplaying staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:35 pm

Do what you think. if you honsetly think it still should't be seen by human eyes, then don't

Back to top Go down

Post by Mira Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:02 pm

ok, I think I will mull it over for a bit longer
Mira
Mira
roleplaying staff
roleplaying staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Miara Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:23 pm

Just post it!
Miara
Miara
staff
staff

Female Posts : 1398
Birthday : 1912-12-04
Location : A special place where all go but few ever return to.
Humor : Somewhere around the eighth century someone did something that no one would ever remember them doing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mira Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:21 am

But I don't like that story as much as I like another I am working on right now. So I am focusing on the one I like right now...
Mira
Mira
roleplaying staff
roleplaying staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Mira Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:44 pm

OK! I worked on this one a little bit more. I hope this makes sense (more than the preface/prologue) I welcome feedback!

Chapter 1

On the continent Leala, in the northeastern section, there is a community of humans. In one specific place called twelfth gate, there is an orphanage. Usually, walking into the orphanage at approximately 1:00 on any day except cleaning day, you would find a quiet building with few people about. In through the wooden front door and up the staircase on the right of the hallway, there is a bay window with two or three throw pillows usually resting in the corners. Also at 1:00 you would probably find a very tall young lady in the bay window. She normally reads a book at this time, for this is the time when she has a break from the others who live in the orphanage. Her attention would be completely on the book that would be in her hands. Her wood-red hair reflecting the light that filtered through the glass.
Usually, at this time if you went back down the stairs and turned to the right farther into the building, you would see a door on the left. Inside you would find a lady of middle-height. She could be figuring over the past month’s money issues or dealing with a troublesome orphan. She would be wearing her bifocals, trying to see the small print, or glaring through them at the child. Papers and documents would be piled up all around the desk, and some even on the end table. However, she is not there today.
If a wandering beggar was to walk into the back door of the building, hoping for a little bit of leftover food, they would be immersed into the sights and smells of a working kitchen. Thirteen young men and one woman would be hustling around the room. Some would be cleaning from lunch, and others would be preparing for dinner. There would be one talented tall man walking leisurely around the whole room, issuing orders to the other people in the kitchen.
Today though, something was different.
The girl was still reading, but the woman with the bifocals was now in the kitchen. She was standing in the corner, not daring to make a sound. The kitchen staff had been ordered out on pain of injury. There were also three men in there with bifocal-wearing woman. One was short, with tattered clothes and an unkempt beard. He had a certain unappealing smell that wafted from his current position. He had a machine that was about half his 5 ft height, which he was diligently working on. He muttered to himself every so often, and glanced at the other two men in the room frequently. His eyes searching, measuring.
The other men were wearing the same outfits, a black suit with black pants. One had a hat and the other didn’t. The one with the hat was peering through the window of the back door, while the other was leaning against the side wall, watching the lady and the short, unkempt man closely. His face reflected no emotions while he silently watched the two. The man with the hat was constantly fidgeting.
“What is taking so long?!” The man wearing the hat whispered urgently.
“Well, sir. I am working on it sir. Won’t be too much longer now, sir. I just have to hook up this ‘ere cord to the one socket and then..” The short man described.
“Silence,” the man with the hat cut him off, “I don’t need to know what is going on, I just need to know how long it will take.” He was standing nervously, with one hand nervously moving from his hip to his pocket, as if it had no place to rest. The other hand was against the door, holding the window curtain aside. His fingers were impatiently tapping. “C’mon c’mon,” he said to himself. “There was one I saw not even 4 miles from here..”
“Man Rej, where did you get this guy?” The man leaning against the wall inquired of the one by the window, with a whisper. He was still watching the woman and the short man carefully, “he smells like he hasn’t showered in about three weeks!”
“Hah!” Rej replied, “you should’ve been there, I was told by our boss that I was supposed to find an old scientist that knew how these things were created.” He gestured toward the machine that the man was working on.
“He was supposed to be a small man, probably not the cleanest. He is dirt poor after all, being a ‘scientist’. I had thought they were all dead by now. Obviously not. I don’t know how he survived without us finding him before now.”
“Wait,” The man by the wall interjected, “you mean to tell me that this is one of the original inventers?! “
“No, idiot. He would have to be hundreds of years old for that. Does he look that old to you, Loka?” Rej asked.
“No..” The one called Loka looked over the scientist from head to toe. “He looks rather young to me, in fact”, Loka responded.
“Exactly. He has been taught by another. We are trying to use this one to find his teacher. Whoever has knowledge about the older machines is valued right now. They would be the difference between the ones we can currently create correctly, the ones that make dragons mad, and the ones that always implode, the ones that are supposed to make dragons sleepy and such. That is why the Kindler has not been happy. He cannot put the dragons to sleep anymore, or make them calm, he can only make them angry.” Rej informed.
“Ah! So this one might lead us to others?” Loka whispered, conspiratorially.
“Exactly. Anyways, I was told that this man would be close to the border.” The one called Rej glanced at Loka, “I scouted there for weeks. Until I caught him trying to climb up one of the platforms close to the mountain. I rescued him from certain death, but not before a dragon caught my scent. I delivered this guy to you and then left right away, ‘member? Then I kept moving because they could smell where I was.” Rej looked back through the window. “Now though, the machine is working and we can get them off my back.”
“I have always wondered, why did the scientists all hide?” Loka inquired.
“This isn’t the best time but I will explain a bit. The Kindler never told us..” Rej confessed, “but I suppose it has something to do with the disaster of 20 years ago. When the scientists were able to create a machine that-” Rej paused and went rigid. He blinked several times very fast before he yelled; “LOOK! There they are! You better have that machine ready!” He yelled to the man with the unpleasant smell.
“Yea. I got it, I got it. Jus’ stay calm.” The man said as he eyed Rej, for Rej was tapping his foot impatiently. “It will take a bit for it warm up, but then it will work. However, be ready. I have not been able to do exactly what is needed to get it working.”
“WHAT?!” Rej exploded, “this is that what we need! We need it to put the disgusting creature asleep! They will tear us apart if this doesn’t work! Perhaps it was not worth it to give you food and heal up your wounds!”
“Calm down, O impatient one.” The man mocked, his eyes were staring at Rej. “I have fixed it enough that the dragons who hear it, will have their senses dulled. They will not function fast enough to evade things, and will possibly crash to the ground. Is not that what you want?”
“You had better hope it works,” Loka calmly responded. “I will not stop some unfortunate event from happening to you in the near future otherwise,” Loka said, threateningly.
“Hurry! I see two! They are near to this building! Get it out there and working already!” Rej yelled.
The man with the tattered clothes bent over and picked up the machine. He seemed to struggle for a few moments as if it was a great weight, then he shifted his feet and was able to pick it up easily. This cube was a cube of a rare blue metal. It had several buttons of various sizes covering all sides except the bottom. Some had a light blinking around the edge of it, and others were completely dark. Once the man had it outside in the far part of the yard, he pushed seven buttons real quick, as if he had done it before. Then he ducked down next to the machine, trying to hide his frame behind it. The men inside snickered at his antics. The people inside were too far away to hear the noise that the machine would make, at least that is what their superior told them.

(Miara, you have read some of this, but I changed details and I like this way a little better, it is more descriptive.)
Mira
Mira
roleplaying staff
roleplaying staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum