The chatterbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS

3 posters

Go down

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS Empty THE FAULT IN OUR STARS

Post by 13obthepirate Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:04 pm

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS OH MY GOD I'VE LEGIT WATCHED THIS TRAILER ABOUT 20 TIMES.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ItBvH5J6ss THAT'S THE TRAILER WATCH IT NOW.
13obthepirate
13obthepirate
really likes to post.
really likes to post.

Male Posts : 1919
Birthday : 1998-02-10
Humor : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1dirHGODpM

Back to top Go down

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS Empty Re: THE FAULT IN OUR STARS

Post by Miara Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:52 pm

The Fault in our Stars (TiFoS) was actually a decent movie. However, I do have a rant just waiting to be read. Don't worry, I won't have any true spoilers.

*Ahem*

Seriously? The reason I willingly get emotionally invested in fictional characters instead of real live people is that fictional characters don't die. They don't rip your heart out of your chest and watch it pump. (Sorry, that's a little graphic) Real people do that. Fictional characters are supposed to remind you that there is still good in the world and that life always gets worse before it can get better. Fiction teaches young children that there is hope and there is light in the world just waiting to be discovered. TiFoS expertly dashes these staples of modern fiction.

Believe it or not, I did not become emotionally attached to these characters. I did not care about any of the times Hazel cries. I almost laughed as her hope for the book were dashed to smithereens. No, what got me the most was when Augustus cries during the eulogy. Like seriously? What is up with that? Hazel has been bawling her eyes out like every ten minutes and I don't even care, but the minute Gus cries, suddenly I have emotions? I don't do emotions. Ask anyone who knows me. If you want emotions go read a Nicolas Sparks book (or apparently The Fault in our Stars), but if you want succinct, to the point, brutal honesty, I can help you with that.

Its writers like John Greene that make you look at the rest of humanity and say "You stink." Only to realize; YOU ARE THE REST OF HUMANITY. Because, lets face it, we--as humans--stink. We are awful. We kill each other over stupid worthless stuff, that ultimately doesn't get us anything. This movie (haven't read the book yet) takes all of that and points it out, but then tries to convince the audience that humans aren't that bad. And it does that job well.

Decent movie. I will never be watching it again. You'll probably enjoy it.
Miara
Miara
staff
staff

Female Posts : 1398
Birthday : 1912-12-04
Location : A special place where all go but few ever return to.
Humor : Somewhere around the eighth century someone did something that no one would ever remember them doing.

Back to top Go down

Post by 13obthepirate Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:09 pm

The book was much better than the movie. I found it not so much about dying as about why to do anything at all. And yes, Hazel cries quite a bit but that doesn't come to mind when I think of the book. She isn't some sappy teenager in the book and the movie lost a lot of the symbolism that was found in the book. I think that the reason why TFioS has been so successful is because of the layers in the book. On the base level, its just a simple love story. A sad one, but oddly simplistic nonetheless. It can appeal to the masses. But, there is a lot more in the novel. The books that Gus gives Hazel where the main character never dies, the constant symbolism of time and water, its a deep book and sometimes John Green is able to write such beautiful prose. But, that's just me.
13obthepirate
13obthepirate
really likes to post.
really likes to post.

Male Posts : 1919
Birthday : 1998-02-10
Humor : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1dirHGODpM

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiana Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:09 pm

"fictional characters don't die. They don't rip your heart out of your chest and watch it pump."
Not true, I cried like a baby when Serious Black died. I haven't read this book yet, but it is on the to do list.
Tiana
Tiana
Head of staff.
Head of staff.

Female Posts : 2622
Birthday : 1994-01-03
Humor : CANDY!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down